Saturday 18 June 2011

Macarons: Part II

Welcome back for a new episode of my macaron adventures. If you missed the first part: I've wrestled with piping bags, escaped a kitchen battlefield and finally found something that looked like a macaron. For my second attempt I wanted to be much better prepared than the first time. And that's what I did...


Since a few months we're subscribed to a digital TV network and one of the brand new channels was the new Belgian cooking channel Njam!. One of the programs seemed especially handy for my quest: 'Roger Van Damme Desserts' in which the eponymous chef prepares really tasty culinary versions of some classic  puddings. In one of the shows he focused on the macaron; Yes!
After some rigorous preparations (I went to the shop for additional almond powder and some cooking coloring) I tried to memorize the recipe as good as possible.
Before I could start I encountered some problems: there is some kitchen equipment needed I didn't have: a food processor, a cooking thermometer and an anti-sticking coaster. Problem? I did it my way, baby. :)
This is how it goes:

Ingredients:
broyage/grinding
200 g almond powder
200 g powdered sugar
110 g egg white

Italian meringue
110 g egg white
150 g granulated sugar
40 g water

First, make the 'broyage' (which is a mixture of almond powder and powdered sugar) by stirring the dry ingredients together. Then sift it as good as possible until the mix feels dusty.
After this prepare the 'Italian meringue'. The intention is making sugar water, cooking this until 180° and then pour it to the egg white that is getting stirred in the food processor. Because I didn't have this equipment, I beat the egg whites and added the water when I thought it was ready. Bad idea! :) I couldn't batter my egg white stiff. Making patisserie is exact science, that's sure.
Anyway, the next step is blending this meringue carefully under the broyage at which you first add the rest of the (non-beaten) egg white. Add some cooking coloring if you want.
Because I couldn't make proper circular macarons I decided to fill the whole area of the oven plate with the batter. The next step is (if everything passes according to plan :) ) letting the mixture rest for 45 minutes so the macarons can form a small crust. Of course this didn't happen with my 'huge macaron'. I even waited an hour...
Finally I baked the whole at 150° for 15 minutes.

The result was much better than the first time but I need to get more experienced.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment